[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Computer » Hardware » Memory Latency Explained
Memory Latency Explained
HeinZawHtetDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-26, 1:01 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Administrators
Awards: 0
I've noticed really that little people actually know that there is more to memory settings than just CAS Latency, and it's actually quite annoying, so I figured out that maybe I should just post a few bits of info to start them out, as well as inform them how to raise speed of their system through lowering or raising these settings, though I recommend not to toy unless you have experience or research the topic further.

So onto the basic settings:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAS Latency: This stands for Column-Access-Strobe

-The CAS Latency manages how fast memory units return a response to a data request. the settings range from 2 to 3, and lower settings provide speed gains, though the results make a small performance difference. The best performance gains are with SDR-RAM

TRP: AKA RAS Precharge, has settings similar to TRCD, but has little significance on performance. It ranges from 2 to 4 and small performance gains are recieved from lower settings.

tRAS: All Right, Bank cycle time is another name for tRAS, its the number of clock cycles needed to make the complete difference in charge between the bit and lines of referenceto restore data in the cells of memory. Settings range from 5 to 7, and with lower numbers, you recieve small performance gains.

TRCD: This is known as RAS to CAS Delay, being numbered by clock cycles, and it possibly can limit the memory performance. It's measured from 2 to 4, and lower settings raise performance markedly.

Bank Interleave: The setting that determines if memory is laced or not, it ranges from 0 to 2B to 4B and higher settings improve performance.

CMD: One of the most powerful memory settings known as Command Rate, which ranges from 1T to 3T, lower settings increase performance noticeably.

These are but mere basics if you want to know more about memory, but that drags you into reading about memory controllers and sequencing, which I won't get into (though I have so little of a life, I actually read a bit on these topics)

And now while others brag about low cas and we have a T1 command rate, we can secretly laugh at them. Then again, I recommend not to toy with these settings unless you know what consequences it may have on your PC

Welcome to the CAS Latency Rebellion

Please keep this thread on topic! anything off-topic will be deleted. Also Anti-Trend stuck the thread not me Sniper

Forum » Computer » Hardware » Memory Latency Explained
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024